I'm very wary of gravel roads being designated as primary roads!

I think you are possibly reading too much into the definition from Vegagerðin.

Also do note that roads come from two source, Vegagerðin and then the
municipalities.

In urban areas for example we use tertiary for Safnbrautir (linking residential
roads) and then secondary for tengibrautir (linking safnbrautir to stoðbrautir).