On 12/23/2014 10:53 AM, Martin Raifer wrote:
> We could also think about creating a wiki-page for the hiking routes
> in South Tyrol to keep track of partially finished mapping of hiking
> routes—just like our colleagues from Trentino did: [5]

This would be very nice to have!
Any takers to start a page?

> Did you know that we are allowed to use the maps from the provincial
> government [6] for mapping? There is a rather nice topografical map
> called "TOPOMAP" which shows the hiking routes. This has been a good
> help when I've mapped the hiking routes in Eppan.

I didn't know. Very helpful. There's also a TRAILS_APB-PAB layer which
can be switched in png+alpha mode.

Do we have also access to the raw/vectorial data?

Especially in the woods, it looks like it's a higher resolution trace
than consumer-grade GPS receivers, though in some places I still notice
the typical star effect. Any idea on how it was acquired?

In several places though it suffers from the same issue as many other
maps I've used. While major routes are very nicely mapped, many smaller
ones often are not updated.

In the area around 46.5540499 11.3981239 (just a random example) the
trail now coasts the entire property (which is not accessible to the
public right now - and I doubt it ever was in the past).

Not to mention, in the same place, that many hiking ways overlap. 32A/A
share the same way in this spot and down to Vanga. In Vanga itself, the
panel has both markings.

Sometimes it also looks like they follow nearby tracks instead of
following the actual trail (something I've also noticed in other
commercial maps).

> For inspecting hiking routes I've often used the following page: [7],
> which lets you select individual route relations quite easily.

The link I've provided uses the same layer.
I also use waymarkedtrails to inspect the data.