Subject: [OSM-dev] Notes - OSM improvements BoF at SOTM PDX
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 18:40:20 -0400
From: Alex Barth <a...@mapbox.com>
To: d...@openstreetmap.org list <d...@openstreetmap.org>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap.devel

Hello everyone -

Here are my (slightly edited) notes from the Birds of a Feather session on the
Knight grant and OSM improvements we had at PDX. Much of what's been mentioned
meshes closely with the OSM Wishlist thread [1]. Please fill in / expand /
contest where you see fit.

Just like the wishlist thread this is a pretty open ended list, but doing this
kind of giant brain dump is really, really useful for getting oriented and
finding out where to dig into prior work.

[1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2012-October/025746.html

## OpenStreetMap.org

- There is a big value in tightening the design of OpenStreetMap.org
- Small, continuous improvements are the way to go rather than a
change-everything redesign
- That said, we'll want to rethink some of the paradigms on osm.org
- Making the rails port easier to set up brings more contributors, installing
got a lot easier, there are still pain points that are harder to solve.
- Translations are a frequent bottleneck for copy changes, unclear how to solve
this.

## Mapnik style

- How could the Mapnik style be more open to improvements? We definitely need
to get it on GitHub.
- Should we have multiple canonical styles?

## Getting data out of osm.org

- Starting from osm.org it could be more straightforward to find proper
download options
- Export tab on osm.org is one of the most popular locations, but needs a lot
of improvement. E.g. it does not explain how the downloaded data can be used.
How can export be more actionable?
- There is an expectation problem around data downloads from osm - why exactly
would a user download from the export tab, what are they looking for? why is
embedding under exporting? if an export fails due to its size, it's not clear
where to go to get a larger dump.
- Should SVG export be replaced with something else, or improved in Mapnik
enough to be worthwhile?
- How can third party services like geofabrik's shapefile exports (or jXAPI) be
tied in better?
- (not a data export topic but came up here) there are needs around
managing/merging external vector datasources, there's work around that in
potlatch.

## Social Experience

- Improving the social experience on OSM.org is not about integrating with
social platforms like Facebook, but about making it easier for mappers to
connect.
- There is a gap between the broad, public mailing lists that many are not
subscribed to and private messages, leading for instance to situations where
individuals can be flooded with dozens of personal messages in the case of
disputed changesets.
- Github style commenting on changesets with appropriate notifications could be
useful.
- There are notes from OSM ux session in Washington DC earlier this year
(where?)
- Privacy and safety is tantamount.
- On osm.org user profile, it would be more useful to see who's mapping in your
area than who's living in your area.
- If someone modifies OSM data within a few days after you did, it would be
awesome to see a note in your user profile feed about that.
- OWL is setting an important precedent for social features but is currently
down due to technical difficulties.
- live.openstreetmap.fr is another great example
- Activity streams is a nascent effort in this space
- We'll want to focus on solid bottom line features that we know work well,
rather than going all out on bells and whistles.
- Could OSM.org facilitate groups of common interest? E. g. 'cycling' or
'Portland, OR'. Could we for instance have diary entries in certain areas or
with certain tags show up in the feed of our user profiles?
- How could community events be highlighted on osm.org? On your user profile?

## First time mapping

- What happens after you sign up? Where do you go next? How many people do we
lose before the first edit because we just don't do a good job explaining how
to get started?
- We could drip feed people emails with useful information after they signed
up, maybe just one a week after s/o signed up and didn't edit, maybe a week
after s/o did a single edit.
- The emerging Welcome Working Group will ideally be able to shed more light
onto good actions for helping people through the first steps with OSM.
- What is this first edit anyway? Do we have data on this?
- A sandbox for beginners sounds like a good idea at first, but there's a real
danger of loosing people to it who could be mapping the real world instead.
- A real expectation challenge is the fact that it just takes a while for your
changes to show up on a map. How can editors communicate this better? Could
they show fresher tiles than osm.org?

## Editing

- OpenStreetMap data is complex which makes building editors hard and making a
truly simplified editing experience even harder
- That said, we know that there is much room for improvement in current editors
- The OpenStreetMap API is intentially held simple, we don't want to make it
more complex than it needs to be.
- That said, it should be easier for editors to share common tasks like
validation. This could happen in a library. There could also be a hosted
validation service (there are questions whether the latter really makes sense
based on bandwidth restrictions etc.)
- Internals of Potlatch are currently being ported to ID
- The goal for ID is to become the most intuitive OSM editor there is, leaving
the expert editing space to JOSM.
- ID is written in JS because Flash has turned into a hurdle for developer
participation.
- Filtering - we dwelled quite a while on this topic. OpenStreetMap data is
generally speaking too interconnected to only edit a filtered part of an area.
- A first alpha version of ID could be up before the end of the year. Such a
version would be able to safely edit OSM data.

*Present*

- Jeff Meyer
- Coleman McCormick
- Zach McCormick