Please excuse me for posting to this list in English. I am not a Japanese
speaker, but have recently been examining the availability of Japanese open
data for geocoding addresses. This process has been difficult due to my
unfamiliarity with the language and character set. My hope is to share a
summary of my work here and receive criticism from experts.

My code can be found here:

https://github.com/sbma44/japan_geodata_research

My conclusions and the narrative behind them are present in the README.md
file, which should display at the bottom of the page when you follow that
link.

In short: I was surprised to find that Japan Post and MLIT seem to use a
shared ID scheme, allowing postal codes to be mapped, many-to-one, to the
boundaries of administrative districts offered in a country-wide Shapefile
by MLIT.

It might be that this is already common knowledge -- if so, I would be glad
to know that, too! If not, perhaps this will prove useful to others.

I would be particularly glad to hear suggestions from Japanese speakers as
to what each column in the postal code CSV should be properly called in
English and/or in the existing OSM tagging scheme for Japan; and whether
the difference between the "oogaki" and "kogaki" files offered by Japan
Post represent a concern.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions or point out problems with my
analysis.

Tom Lee