On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:41:14 Familie Fornoff wrote:
> Hi Andrew and everybody else interested,
>
> From my knowledge the Korean goverment introduced ~1999 a new address
> system to replace the old Japanese block orientated addresses. Since these
> addresses were attached to nearly every house and road I used them in the
> way you described in your previous mail. Unfortunately those signboards
> have been completed replaced in June 2010 by new signboards following
> another naming strategy. To show up I prepared attached pdf file.
>
> These new signing system requires renaming of all roads !?

Hi Dieter,

I think it's true.  All roads names entered into OSM before about 2009 must be
renamed. :(

I started mapping in August 2009 (1 year ago).  OSM had no roads in my town.
Also, in my town there were no street name signs.  I added the streets with
GPS, and I finished in November 2009.  Then the new street name signs were
installed!  So, in my town I have been making notes of street names and
naming the streets in OSM slowly.  In some ways I am lucky because I will use
only new names.  I also found a free map at the Post Office with all of the
streets and their names.  I did not copy this map because of copyright,
although I wonder if we could ask for permission somehow.

Thank you for your document.  It explains the problem clearly.  Can you put
the same information in the wiki?  Or, if you like, please send the photos
and images to me and I will do it.

Korean mappers- can someone explain when the new street naming programme was
started, and when it will be finished?  It seems to me there are a lot of
things happening with infrastructure in Korea *everywhere* right now:

* New motorways being built
* Upgrades to existing motorways and trunk roads
* New street names and signage
* New house/business address plaques
* New town map boards in public areas
* Upgrades to water supply/sewers/fire hydrants
* Replacement of business signage with "3D" lettering

Best wishes,

Andrew