Hi everyone,

In my town there is a new road being constructed.  It will be finished in
two weeks.  The new road has signs on it with a reference number.  The
reference number is the same as the old road.

You can the roads here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=35.69523&lon=127.85744&zoom=15&layers=M

The new road is green-and-white.  I will change the tags when it opens.

I think this is an issue for many roads in Korea, because there is a lot
of construction going on.

My questions are:

1) What should we do about the ref=* for the old road?
2) What should we do about the class of the old road (it was highway=trunk
(blue oval sign) but now the new road is a blue oval.

I think we should do this:

1) Delete ref=* from the old road.
2) Change the class to highway=tertiary

But... maybe the road will be re-classified or re-numbered.  Perhaps I
should wait and see.  What do you think?

I have noticed this in some other places:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.2105&lon=128.431&zoom=14&layers=M
Here, a tunnel has been made.  The tunnel road is [56], but the old road
(over the mountain) was [56].  Should the old road be changed to tertiary,
and delete the ref?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.0453&lon=127.9509&zoom=14&layers=M
Here, a new tunnel for (46) replaces the old, winding road.

Best wishes,

Andrew

PS I have adopted a shorthand for road numbers to make it clear what kind
of road they are.  It helps me.  Please use it if you like it.
{xx} Curly braces- motorway shield
(xx) Round brackets- blue oval
{(xx)} Curly and round brackets- blue oval upgraded to motorway
<xx> Angle brackets- White octagon
<<xx>> Double angle brackets - White octagon with red strip
[xx] Square brackets - yellow rectangle