On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 23:01:58 Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> As I stated earlier, the rule of "name" tag is simple and clear. It
> should be written as a local name [1]. The long "한글 (English)" form
> makes the maps have more text and look more confusing.
>
> If you are not good enough to read Hangul names, please contribute to
> the map internationalization [2], to make the implementations use the
> English localized name:en tag.
>

> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names
>
> [2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_internationalization

You must be new here.

The reason we have "name=한글 (English)" is historical.  In 2008 some tagging
guidelines were published in the wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ko:Map_Features

These guidelines included the convention to use "name=한글 (English)".  Most
people who started mapping Korea have been following these guidelines.  I
think that originally they were copied from the Japanese mapping guidelines:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names#Japan

To make things a little easier, I published this page, which clarifies the
convention:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Korea_Naming_Convention

I disagree that the maps look more confusing (and I am good enough to read
Hangul :) ).  It's much more useful to me to see Hangul and English together,
and apparently the Korean people agree, since you have spent millions of
dollars on putting bilingual signs on all of the roads and houses.
I documented that here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Korea_Streetsigns

However, I agree that it's tedious, and we should consider dropping the
convention.  I have learned that mappers in Japan have recently decided to do
the same (although the wiki has not been updated everywhere to show this).

Hopefully, the international mapping project will improve and users around the
world will be able to choose a map labelled in Korean, or in English, or both.

Personally, I would like to follow the recommendations in reference [1]
[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name
name=Whatever is on the street sign
name:en=English, or Korean romanisation
name:ko=Hangul

What this really means is name=* should include Korean and English, because
that is what is on the sign.

Don't forget, mappers around the world are also editing data in Korea, so
these guidelines must be simple and clear for anyone to understand.  Also, the
map on the OSM page is only an example.  Anyone can make a map and use any
name tag they please.  If we were to make a Korean-map and label it with the
name:ko=* tags then it would all be in Korean (this means you have to copy the
Korean information from name=* to name:ko=*).

Best wishes,

Andrew