This is really interesting and exciting,
you can upload your pictures and have the knitted.
mike

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeffrey Warren <j...@publiclaboratory.org>
Date: Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Subject: [OSM-talk] Better integration with OSM from MapKnitter.org balloon
maps
To: t...@openstreetmap.org
Cc: Stewart Long <stew...@publiclaboratory.org>, Liz Barry <
l...@publiclaboratory.org>, Austin Cowley <cowleyaus...@gmail.com>

Hello - I was just enjoying the "add a TMS background" feature in Potlatch
2 (feel free to tell me to go to a different mailing list) and I created a
brief guide to inserting your DIY balloon mapping aerial imagery
(grassroots mapping/public laboratory style) as a background:

http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/editing-openstreetmap-balloon-maps
(using data from )

It was kind of remarkable to me that the balloon maps seem to be well
within the precision of the GPS used to make the existing map of Mestia,
Georgia. In some areas, just based on how the GPS tracks wiggle on a
straight road, it seemed that the balloon map is a pretty great resource
for filling in detail (once it's well rectified, of course). See the
screenshots in the page above.

Anyhow, I'm the main developer for MapKnitter.org, which is where most
grassroots balloon/kite mappers in our community are rectifying their
imagery. I was thinking it'd be really nice to add a "*Use your map to
contribute to OpenStreetMap*" link/button, which could deep-link into a
Potlatch 2 page with the layer already set up.

Is that kind of deep linking something anyone is interested in
collaborating on? I can do all the integration from the MapKnitter side but
don't have much experience with Potlatch code. I could also put this in as
a Google Summer of Code idea but maybe it's too use-specific and actually
too small of a project.

Just wondering if this was interesting to folks.

Jeff

James Michael DuPont