they get only requests, and almost
no contributions to the code.

The gap between them and the rest
Is getting too large.
Of course, we can only be grateful for
the immense efforts they spent.

But someone needs to close the gap
between us.
I want to suggest to divert a bit from creating
[EMAIL PROTECTED] code to updating the community by mail
and wiki.

As Martijn says, the code is not that
difficult, but at the lower and of the stairs
I (me) cannot see the end, and that's a bad sign.

OJW (you have a name too I suppose), thanks for
your elaborated explanation of the main program.

Now for starting to read the actual code (for me)
can some of you explain in short the meaning of
the files being created in the misc. stages
of conversion, in such a way that I can recognize them,
and correlate the code  to the resulting files.

I recognize 6 stages

Downloading a OSM file  (becomes an encoded tilename.osm file)
Conversion to SVG, apparently needed for inkscape ? creates a SVG file
for every zoom level
Conversion to png  creates a lot of tiles in a suitable directory
(tilenumber?)
An optimizing stage (found no file trace of it )
Compression stage  (any of the available zip programs results in a zip
file in the upload dir)
And an upload stage  (renames the compressed file to uploaded)

There must also be a housekeeping task, cleaning it all.

Could you put a name to each process, and a link to the code
where it happens ???? (upload.pl I found already...)
Thanks for confirming, correcting, and explaining
the above,

Gert