At 12:58 PM 10/02/2009, maning sambale wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Jim Morgan <j...@datalude.com> wrote:
>> Good to see everyone there as well, and put faces to email addresses!
>>
>> maning sambale wrote, On Monday, February 09, 2009 11:17 AM:
>>> On forming an organization:
>>> We had a previous mail discussion on "should we have a formal
>>> organization representing OSM Philippines" so this was a main
>>> discussion point in Grappas.  Basically two points were raised:
>>>
>>> 1. There is a need to create a "legal personality" for OSM Philippines
>>
>> One other alternate approach we discussed was to use the main London OSM
>> body as a representative. Its unclear exactly how this would work though.
>> Time zones would undoubtedly be tricky but it might be good as a stopgap.
>
>@ Mike Collinson - is this possible?  Or any updates on the local chapter
>plans?
>To all - please have a look at Andre's email:
>http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2009-February/000446.html

No update that I am aware of.  Certainly we as OSM Foundation will do our best
to accommodate a structure that keeps your costs to a minimum or preferably
zero.  The only checkpoint that I can think of for us is that Etienne as
Treasurer can see proper control if money is involved, for example local
membership dues.

To help, it is important to understand the need for a "legal personality" and
then do what it takes .  In the past, I've been a member of clubs around the
world that had a written constitution and an Annual General Meeting but no
official registration that I was aware of.  Is it a strict legal necessity in
the Philippines or something gives an air of formality when dealing with such
people as local government? Can you open a club bank account without SEC
registration? Do you actually need/want a bank account?

For Etienne and Nick, in the Philippines it is common practice to register an
organization/club with the Securities and Exchange Commission as a non-profit.
If I am paraphrasing earlier list discussions correctly, this involves a lot of
paperwork and has  potentially prohibitive costs.

Mike