On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM, maning sambale
<emmanuel.samb...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Just my take,
> 1.  If it's on the ground it should be mapped.

This is a good guideline in general but of course a line has to be drawn
somewhere (pun not intended). I don't think drawing the individual stripes
of a pedestrian walkway is productive even if it *is* on the ground. A map
is supposed to be a representation--not a facsimile of the real world.
That's why we represent roads in OSM using center lines and not (at the
moment) as areas.

> 2.  If somebody bothered to map fishball vendors in Luneta, nobody's
> stopping him.

Fishball vendors are probably not a good example for your point since they
are too ephemeral to be mapped. But anyway, OSM is a community project and
we work on consensus. While we do encourage people to map what they think
are important, I don't think we should just let people map things like
"Location of Mark and Jenny's first kiss", right?

3 years ago (am I that old in OSM?), my only goal is to map major
> highways around the metro, now it's there.  But we want more.  We've
> mapped footways, cycleways, I even saw driveways somewhere.  If
> somebody sees the importance of a certain feature then by all means
> let them map it.
>
> If I can collect data for breeding sites of all the endangered bird
> species (and I think it is important) I will possibly map it here.
>
> I agree there should be some limits and priorities (at the moment) but
> I am hopeful we will get to a point where we will map individual
> houses with addresses

I disagree that the limits are there just for the moment. I think there
should be a limit imposed at all times (the limit can move over time, but
there is still a limit). For instance, Wikipedia has guidelines on what is
NOT acceptable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:NOT) eventhough the presence
of those guidelines run counter to Wikipedia's lofty aim to be the "sum of
all human knowledge".

I think individual features for detached residential houses are OK, but I
really don't think we need to place a point for every unit in high-rise
condominiums.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com>