We should follow the Philippine Standard Geographic Codes (PSGC) which
is available at http://www.nscb.gov.ph/ACTIVESTATS/PSGC/default.asp

The official city names are listed there in the quick table. So the
official name will either be "City of ...." or ".... City" as
indicated in the table there.
For example, "Taguig City" is the official name, not "City of Taguig".
On the other hand, "City of Makati" is the official name, not "Makati
City".

It will be the same for Barangays as well as for other geographic units.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Totor,
>
> We are having the same problem in Wikipedia. The current naming convention
> there is to add the "City" but there's a proposal to drop the "City" in most
> of them. Except for those cities that share names with other prominent
> places (Iloilo, Cebu, Davao, Cotabato, Isabela, Quezon, Sorsogon etc.),
> people usually refer to these places by just the name without the "City". In
> OSM, we have the convention to remove "Barangay" in barangay names and
> similarly, "City" in most city names.
>
> The reason why you'll see signs that add the word "City" is because
> achieving city status is a "badge of honor". The city governments would like
> to proclaim that they are a city (which implies a more developed places)
> every chance they get! So I wouldn't put too much weight on those signs and
> government websites. ;-)
>
> My two centavos,
> Eugene (osm:seav)
>

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Totor <totor_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody
>>
>> I put back the City in some city names in cebu :
>> Mandaue City,
>> Lapu-Lapu City
>> and
>> Danao City
>>
>> They were removed some time ago, and while it makes sense
>> (unlike Cebu City, there is no Mandaue island or province...),
>> the road signs indicate Mandaue City and Lapu-Lapu City.
>>
>> The address of the company I work also shows Lapu-Lapu City.
>>
>> These websites also mention the "City" in the name :
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Cebu
>> http://www.mandauecity.gov.ph/
>> http://www.cebu.gov.ph/
>> and even : http://openstreetmap.org.ph/viewall.php !!!
>>
>> I was not able to find anything regarding this in the wiki.
>> Probably because European names/road signs usually don't include city (as
>> far as I know)
>>
>> What is your opinion ?
>> Should we ignore the City in most of the names or add it to all?
>> Should we add City as stated on the road signs only?
>> Is there an official name list ? (I never heard of Manila City :)
>> How about Carcar, Naga, Toledo, Bogo and Talisay ?
>>

>> Happy mapping.
>>
>> Totor
>>

> --
> http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com

Eric Manuel Pareja (eric.par...@gmail.com) LPIC-2, NCLP | PGP/GPG Key 0xB82E42D9
Coordinator for Technology - National Telehealth Center
University of the Philippines Manila
Senior Linux Trainer - International Open Source Network - ASEAN+3
Ang mundo ay aklat, at iisang pahina lamang ang nababasa ng hindi naglalakbay.
 - San Agustin
わかよたれぞ つねならむ