Hi,  Just an update on the responses of  Bacolod mappers.

1. Most mappers replied that they are using GPS and local knowledge.
(see the responses below)
2. Bacolod has good traces uploaded not much, but it seems to show
very good coverage at least in the city center.  See this image of
JOSM:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3324/4623396303_e2f6be5fe6_o.jpg
3. There is a good number of traces from other sites which one
contributor said he/she used.
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/map.do#lt=10.71630665&ln=122.96557086&z=6
4. They seem to have a group doing the edits, hence, the explosion of
edits in the past months.
5.  Apart from one user, the mappers did not view any hostility with my message.

Given the above observations, I do think its fair we give them the
"give the benefit of the doubt".  Of course anyone can say otherwise.
If you have more inquiries regarding their edits,  I suggest you send
them a message or as Andre suggested: "a phone call with tone of voice
would resolve things as e-mails seem threatening to him/her".

transcript below
===
----
It might be someone else's work I'm particular with copy right issues
and I'm using my own data from my GPS and from time to time me and my
friends share tracks from our ride. I also might have contributed in
some area where its a common knowledge that such POI or street exist.
----
I was using a GPS. I'm no longer contributing since my GPS was stolen
together with my bike.
----

I understand we need to keep OSM free from copyright infringements so
please, don't worry.

My edits mostly consist of POI's and re-tags. These POI's, tags, and a
couple of road sections are all built from my memory. I know this is
not convincing enough but I assure you these are not taken from
anywhere else.

However, I must admit I have copied something from googlemaps:
http://osm.org/go/4n8spzaPY-- I'll be deleting and replacing this
section with a POI as soon as I finish sending you this message.

(which he already removed)
----
Yes there seems to be a growing number of people here at Bacolod who
are interested in mapping. The only problem is that at the moment its
not so well organize and OSM is not that popular. But I think in time
we'll be able to form a proper group especially if they realize the
benefits of it. Yes, I'll spread the word to people I know. Thank You.
----
hay nako syempre GPS bakit ano ba ang ginagamit mo? baka ikaw ang
gumagawa nga anomalia pina pasa mo lang sa akin. wala ako masyadong
alam kaya nga naghihintay lang ako ng mga daan na gina gawa tapos
eniedit ko lang lang. bakit ang dami mong alam sa mga tungkol sa mga
ganyan.
----
And about that contributor who admitted that he took his data from
google, aparently it was an account made for bacolod city where in
different users can log in and use it but apparently it did not work
out since some think it was a joke. But not all of those who use it
thinks that way. Hope this clarify your doubts about us in Bacolod.
----
Rest assured my edits are genuine (not from copy right material) and
some are from my memory.
----
I'm using my GPS device my friend and some are contributions from the
website itself.
----
Im using my GPS and some donated and downloaded GPS traces.
----
I have no idea about this edits. perhaps you've mistaken me of
somebody. anyway it might be that I have contributed to such edit but
can't exactly remember which part but just to let you know I always
use a GPS device regarding my edits and you might also want to check
wikiloc for there are some gps track and are free for download. hope
this has helped your concern.
----
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=882587 this might help since
i also take some of my edits on this site i hope this helps.

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:52 AM, maning sambale
<emmanuel.samb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Ray <rayosm1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On the other hand pls. be aware that not everybody want's to upload this
>> gps tracks due to privacy concerns or some body could find out about
>> one's nice and quiet camping place.
> I do respect if people are concerned with privacy issues regarding GPS
> tracks.  In my case, I simply delete trackpoints for areas I don't
> want shared to OSM.  However, I am finding more good uses with
> publicly available traces other than tracing roads or proving
> authenticity of edits.
>
> http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/eastern-bulacan-pampanga-and-nueva-ecija-imagery-update-in-openstreetmap/
>

> --
> cheers,