Hello guys,

Here's a question. Some thousands of place=island nodes were imported from
the GNS database. Should we replace/delete these nodes on favor of the
coastline ways?

The OSM Wiki says that place=island can be applied to either a node or a
way. And since I've been replacing POI nodes and amenity=* nodes with an
outline (either landuse=* or building=yes) if the outline is traceable, I
think that I should do the same for islands, at least for those place=island
nodes that obviously correspond to a coastline way. In addition, the Good
practices page <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice> on the OSM
Wiki says "One feature, one OSM-object". Thus island nodes should be
replaced with island coastline ways. If the island is large, use a
multipolygon relation to group the complete set of coastlines.

If we agree to delete the nodes, what do we do with the GNS tags? Move them
to the ways? Delete them altogether?

What do you guys think?

Eugene