Here's a little bit more elaboration on the problem of coastlines in Mapnik.
This information can be found at the OSM Wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Coastline

Unlike every other feature in the OSM database, coastlines are rendered
differently in Mapnik. The Mapnik rendering software needs closed polygons
to render areas, and since coastlines are the largest and most basic
polygons there is on any map, OSM has to ensure that it feeds Mapnik closed
coastlines in order to coherently show seas and islands.

For zoom levels 0-9, OSM ignores all coaslines data in OSM and uses the
public domain VMAP0 data. For zoom levels higher than 9, OSM uses the
Coastline error checker tool <
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Coastline_error_checker> to generate
closed shapefiles that Mapnik can use. This tool is only run infrequently
and that is why coastlines do not update often in Mapnik.