This is brilliant, for sure, but it leads me to wonder about the idea of
mapping using an automatic camera suspended (and therefore vertical) from a
balloon or small aeroplane. So no need to rectify.

I've read about some people doing this in France etc, but maybe this is a
viable alternative to expensive aerial / satellite photography. And its
portable, so its possible to take the plane/balloon to places where its needed
and use it there.

Thinking ... so we'd need
 - a model plane with remote control (and someone to fly it)
 - a GPS to record the altitude, lat and long at any given time.
 - a camera suspended in a sling which would allow it to be pointing towards
gravity (or some way of measuring which angle it was pointing at)
 - some mechanism for taking photos every five seconds (say) and recording the
time of the photo.

Can't be too hard to figure out ... I'm guessing 1000 USD? Maybe we could even
get a grant from the government for it?

Jim

Anthony Balico wrote, On Monday, 13 December, 2010 01:38 PM:
> One word: awesome!
>

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Totor <totor_...@yahoo.com
> <mailto:totor_...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Just a quick note on the imagery.
>     I still have problems stitching them with Hugin.
>     More details here : http://osm.totor.ph/
>
>     I was able to align part of the pictures further, using
>     QGIS. Still not good enough in my opinion, but I won't have time to
> continue the experiment for the moment.
>     Altough not good for editing, I uploaded the resulting imagery for
> viewing here :
>     http://osm.totor.ph/SM-Cebu/
>
>     Selecting the "My TMS" main layer allows to zoom to 21!
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Totor
>
>     --- On Sun, 11/28/10, Totor <totor_...@yahoo.com
> <mailto:totor_...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     > That could be great to add them to gravitystorm.
>     > But wait for the final ones. The stitched images I have now
>     > are not correctly aligned yet.
>     > I hope that will be better after replacing the automatic
>     > control points with manual ones. (Now automatic points on
>     > tall building distort the ground level, so I try to place
>     > all control points on ground level.)
>     >
>     >
>     > --- On Sun, 11/28/10, maning sambale  wrote:
>     >
>     > > Very cool experiment!  Would you
>     > > like this added to the philippine
>     > > images we have in the osm dev server (spot and
>     > > quickbirds)?  Maybe we
>     > > can request gravitystorm to include this
>     > imagery.  Or
>     > > you can serve
>     > > them yourself via tms.
>     > >

   datalude: information security
   e: j...@datalude.com
   Philippines: +63 2 403 1311 / mob: +63 917 849 3939
   Hong Kong: +852 6840 6693
   w: http://www.datalude.com/