The borders are actually based on a treaty defined by the United
States when they bought the Philippine islands and are specified by
coordinates. You can learn more from here:
http://www.hawaii.edu/aplpj/articles/APLPJ_10.1_bautista.pdf

The problem is that those coordinates are not in WGS84 and we don't
know what geodetic system was used.

Here's an older discussion on this mailing list about the border:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2010-March/001876.html