ATMs are using GPS because of the timestamps simply because atomic
clocks are very expensive to install on each ATM.  Personally, I find
it interesting because they found a use of GPS signal other than
positioning.  However, I felt a certain degree on uneasiness for our
increasing reliance to GPS signals in many of our daily activities,
considering the planned expansion and creation of other GNSS (GLONASS,
Galileo, China and Japan) are far from operational.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Jim Morgan <j...@datalude.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 08 March, 2011 12:19 PM, Michael Cole wrote:
>
> Of course other things went down, eg phones.. Because they were also jammed
> stop the sailors using phones to call ship to ship..
>
> GPS is more and more needed but the ATM's themselves do not have gps units..
> Unless they were mobile ATMS..
>
> Well that was kind of the point ... The ATMs did use GPS, as the ATM system
> used GPS for their accurate time signal. No one anticipated it would fail
> until this test was run.
>
> My main business is IT security, and that involves a component of risk
> analysis. This is the kind of risk which is very hard to spot, and one which
> will come out of left field and take you down. Which is why I personally
> found it so interesting.
>
> Jim

cheers,
maning