Hi Murlwe,

I don't think that municipal/provincial waters should be clamped to
the national waters.

According to the UNCLOS, national waters are those that are within 12
nautical miles (about 22km) from the coastline. According to the
Philippine Fisheries Code of 1998, municipal waters are within 15
kilometers of the coastline. In addition, there is yet no rule on how
to deal with overlapping municipal waters.

I couldn't find a law stating anything about provincial waters, but I
assume they encompass their municipalities' waters. Same with barangay
waters.

So the idea is to mark admin boundaries of barangays,
municipalities/cities and provinces as just the land portions for now.
This includes islands.

If the concern is that you want to signify that places/landmarks of an
LGU are within its boundaries in GIS terms, then the GIS app need to
support boundaries that are composed of multiple polygons. For
example, Caloocan City is composed of 2 disjoint territories
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?relation=273242>. To say that a street
or POI is within Caloocan, the GIS app needs to support multiple
polygons.

Same thing goes currently with LGUs that have islands. The admin
boundaries currently include islands as multipolygons. For example,
Romblon, whose boundaries are currently clamped to the coastlines of
all of its constituent islands:
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?relation=1506343>.

Eugene

--