so that explains the colors of a hybrid icon :P
there's really too little design option with that size. is the 16x16 the
same for newer units like the nuvi series?

on the design, can't help you here, not an artist even if I'm from Paete :(

i zoom in to the map to see POIs while stuck in traffic, I've used Search
only once in Pangasinan to look for Matutina resto to which OSM routed me
flawlessly.