Hello all,

Earlier schadow1 (Ervin) posted under subject_line: "[OSMPH GPS:14] place= ?"
on osmph-gps-...@googlegroups.com regarding proper tag for "subdivision".

I took the opportunity (on my usual lengthy reply ;-) cc:talk-ph) to
propose/push for a more appropriate substitute tag
"place=neighborhood" for many inconsistently tagged node-places such
as subdivision, locality and hamlet by lots of users (including me).

This is just a follow-up. I already stated my case/proposal in my
reply, but I may also be wrong on this, (being lazy on extensive
research). I need to hear your reactions, votes and/or
counter-proposals, coz this is going to affect a lot of your edits,
including the potential none-rendering of many sub-village
named-places in PH on Mapnik.

The issue at the moment with nodes (and polygons tagged
landuse=residential) tagged with place=neighbourhood is no rendering
on Mapnik. https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/4191

Other references:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Neighbourhood
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place

We have to admit that this seemingly simple place-classification is
still confusing for many, as evidenced on edits by old and new users
still using inconsistent tags. We must do something about it sooner or
later. So how do we proceed? Do we start promoting & educating on the
use of "neighbourhood" or status quo until rendering issue is
resolved?

Rally :-)