Hi guys,

I guess all of you know about the "treaty limits" boundary of the
Philippines. This was derived from 3 documents:

1. 1898 Treaty of
Paris<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Paris_%281898%29>(full
text <https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Paris_%281898%29>)

2. 1900 Treaty of
Washington<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Washington_(1900)>

3. 1930 Convention Between the United States and Great
Britain<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_Between_the_United_States_and_Great_Britain_%281930%29>

The question is, where the heck did we arrive at setting the northern
treaty limit at somewhere around 21.5°N? Looking at all 3 documents, the
closest thing we have is the 1898 treaty which says "A line running from
west to east along or near the twentieth parallel of north latitude". 20°N
is a far cry from 21.5°N. Note that the 20°N latitude actually excludes
Batanes and thus this was corrected by the 1900 treaty. However this 2nd
treaty does not say anything about moving any boundary lines but only says
that Philippine islands outside the 1898 boundary lines that were
controlled by Spain are given to the United States.

So what gives?