From: Banick, Robert <robert.ban...@redcross.org>
Date: Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Subject: [HOT] Interim Report: Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) Damage Assessment
To: "h...@openstreetmap.org" <h...@openstreetmap.org>
Cc: Clay impact <clay.westr...@impact-initiatives.org>, "Kunce, Dale"
<dale.ku...@redcross.org>

Dear HOT Communuity,

The American Red Cross and the REACH Initiative are pleased to present
an interim assessment report on the validity of the building damages
assessed through OpenStreetMap in the weeks following Typhoon Haiyan.
You can find a print copy attached and a more interactive website
version at the above link.

The results were unfortunately negative and underline real limitations
in OpenStreetMap’s ability to capture these results in the present.
Neverthless, this report identifies strong promise in the OSM model of
crowdsourcing and highlights the investments needed to make that
potential possible.  It’s our sincere hope that funders, NGO partners
and most especially the OpenStreetMap community will rally around
these investments so that OSM can play an even stronger and more
operationally useful role in future disaster responses.

We are indebted to the US Agency for International Development’s
Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) for funding this
assessment and look forward to future partnerships to improve the
utility of open data and OpenStreetMap in particular for disaster
response.

With all the best,

Robert Banick, Dale Kunce and Clay Westrope

American Red Cross & REACH Initiative

Robert Banick | Field GIS Coordinator | International Services | Ì
American Red Cross

2025 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20006\

cheers,
maning