> Put a bounding box around the phlippines, a long way out way out so the sea
> looks good and chop out the bounding box and make a new shape file
Using gdal/ogr: http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html

ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" -t_srs EPSG:4326 -clipdst [xmin ymin xmax
ymax] output.shp input.shp

> If possible, I would like to have the ocean as polygons and land as polygons
> in the same shape file, with fields for eacj poly stating ocean or land for
> each so I can style them separately, so it would mean closing the ocean
> polygons.
Why do you still need the ocean? Can you just paint in your style as
blue (or whatever ocean color) as a global background settings?  Just
guessing here.

--
cheers,
maning