I edited one ref at EDSA with 2 values of "ref=1;AH26".
http://osm.org/go/4zhSOFRqJ--?m=

Rendering in Mapnik is not bad actually - which somehow approximate the
looks of the physical marker
http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/74846-ah26-road-sign
It makes the Route 1 bigger and more visible, befitting for it's status as
the country's primary backbone, well considering that the earlier single
digit "1" route marker was the smallest icon.

I will do the rest of EDSA later (or somebody else). Proceeding with
caution (EDSA only), wait until I can get confirmation that the
double-value ref will not mess up rendering of the majority of mapping ups
on smartphones. as it may not be worth it at the moment :-)