I was pleased to see this Linux Distro mentioned, which I was previously
unaware of.

OSGeoLive is a Linux distribution that runs directly from a bootable DVD or USB
thumb drive. You also can load a pre-made virtual machine disk file (vmdk) that
runs in a VMware Workstation or VirtualBox environment. Or you can install it
the old-fashioned way as a dual-boot or sole operating system on a hard drive.

        https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/86226.html

It also served as a good roundup of all the available Linux mapping-related
software, some of which I'll now have to investigate.

Jim