Sorry for the late reply, my previous reply to this question a couple of
days ago bounced back due to technical issues on the OSM foundation
mailserver.

Basically we don't mind if you download a bit of tiles, but please try to
keep it at z0-z10. All of France at z0-z18 is some 500GB of data mainly
consisting of completely grey tiles we never had to render before. That
would hog our server resources for several days, so in that case you're
better off setting up your own tile-server. I've been spending a bunch of
evenings the last three weeks updating ours, which is going live this
weekend. During this process I've documented the Hydda style as well as I
can on the GitHub page. Feedback is most welcome.

https://github.com/karlwettin/carto-style-hydda

Setting up a tileserver really isn't that difficult, and if you're only to
render France (and perhaps neighboring areas) it should be really speed on
a machine with small resources. And if you feel comfortable with not
updating the database you really shouldn't expect any problems whatsoever
in the future, given you have enough disk space for your cache. You could
prerender all your needs and then scale down the resources to a 512MB RAM
single CPU system and still handle very heavy loads.

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions.

Karl