2009/2/20 Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com>:

> On 20 Feb 2009, at 12:38, Thomas Wood wrote:

>>> snip

>>> Here is the photo of that stop Brian mentioned above:
>>>
>>> http://ajr.hopto.org/osm/SD530488.JPG
>>
>> NaPTAN lists the name as "The Yenton", the Street as "SUTTON RD", and
>> the Indicator as "Stop YF"
>> Currently, the converter pulls these out as name=The Yenton and ref=YF
>> Incidentally, this stop does have a NaptanCode of nwmdgpgm, but I
>> cannot find 504974 anywhere in the database. (Nor 504956, as shown in
>> the photo).
>
> The NaPTAN code is useful to the public. One can text that code to a phone
> number and get information about upcoming departures.
> http://www.pti.org.uk/SMS/SMS.htm
>
> The number 504974 might be an asset number of the bus stop used by the
> authority for management purposes. That might belong in the PlateCode field,
> but the problem with non-naptan fields is that they will be done differently
> in different parts of the county.
>
> Should YT go in Ref? I am not sure about that. It might be better to using
> the naptancode there which is unique nationally.

In my opinion, yes, where provided. However, since my view is
essentially London-only, (where NaptanCodes don't exist at all), I
find that the Stop indicator is the most useful thing, since it is
almost essential to differentiate stops at transport hubs.
I don't see any problem with having a non-unique ref=, since it's be
likely to be unique on a local scale which is when it is most useful.

>>> Note that my OSM data entry is missing the stuff at the top of the sign
>>> which Brian has been putting under the name tag I believe. Only stops at
>>> major intersections/termini I think have these extra bits of data at the
>>> top
>>> of the sign.
>>
>> Only the reference (YF) is listed in NaPTAN.
>
> YF or similar is sometimes included on a roundel at the top of the pole.

Yes

--
Regards,
Thomas Wood