On 5 Aug 2009, at 13:13, Richard Mann wrote:

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Cartinus <carti...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
IMHO the solution is simple. Name it after what you are mapping.

For vehicles:
The route the cyclist follows is route=bicycle.
The route bus 5 follows is route=bus.
The route tram 13 follows is route=tram.
The route the Eurostar follows is route=train.

For infrastructure:
The "route" of the M1 is route=road
The "route" that is made up of the rail tracks of the East Coast Mainline is
route=rail.

Deprecating route= and replacing it with line= for most things where we
currently use route= is a lot of work for no real gain.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus

+1

Though I'd go for route=railway for infrastructure, since route=rail is currently being used by a lot of relations for which route=train would be better.

Do check out this new wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport_schema_2

I have done some work on the top level modelling for transit information based on Oxoma's work. I am proposing that we use Lines, Line Variants and Routes for the actual services in a similar way to the original proposal.

Lines are pretty much unchanged.

Line Variants used to hold a stop list and also the route through the infrastructure. I have split this into Line Variants for the list of stops, and Routes for the path through the network (this approach saves work as it allows Routes to be reused on more than one Line Variant). It is also the modelling used by Transmodel which will be helpful when we start getting more EU schedule data.

Routes are pretty much the same as cycle routes, ie a single path through the transport network.

I have added a basic infrastructure route proposal, but have no strong feelings about what tags we use.

With regard to updating what is already in OSM then I suggest we use write some tools to do the job. Frederik has already offered to some support for this (and he recently did some automatic cleanup on tiger data in the USA) using a similar rule-bases approach.

Regards,

Peter

Richard