Greg Troxel schrieb:
   For tagging the status of rail infrastructure there are in use:

I usually think it's good to look at existing practice by others.

On USGS maps, and in US legal usage:

  "out of service": rails still exist, but no trains.  shown as regular
  rail on USGS maps.  OSM has no  aparent term for this.

If I live there and if I order a freight train the train is able to
use this rails without recontruction of any things?
Then I would say it is still "railway=rail"

  "abandoned": this is a legal distinction, where ICC has approved
  abandonment.  shown as dashed rails.  tracks may or may not be
  present, but typically some track remnants.  OSM says "disused"

  "old railroad grade".  Definitely legally abandoned, definitely no
  rails.  often just traces of embankment.  shown as dashed line, no
  hashes, but there are definite signs on the ground that there used to
  be a railway (obvious to any train fan).  OSM says "abandoned"

In Germany we also have legal definitions
"stillgelegt" (closed, disused, inoperative from dict.leo.org)
the railway may reused for rail traffic without planning approval

"entwidmet" (dict.leo.org doesn't find an english word, for churches
which now are only normal houses it find "desecrated")
if you will use this way for railway traffic again, you will need
planning approvals as like you want to build a really new railway
where no railway exists before ...

But the destinction stillgelegt/entwidmet no mapper can see in real life,
because both may still have all or no rails.
You need special sources to get the state stillgelegt/entwidmet
We may tag this legal state, if we know about such sources, but for normal
mapper the first tagging should use this he may say in real life:
rails there or not: disused or abandoned.

Mueck