What about a three-level service scheme for buses:

Service=local (transit system bus lines)
Service=commuter (express commuter buses to the suburbs)
Service=intercity (like the American Greyhound bus routes)

There might be grey areas but it should be fairly easy to fit most routes
in one of these three categories.

Bill R. WASHBURN