A few years ago it was meant as a way to comply with the PT v2 scheme. For
me a nice side effect is/was that JOSM assigns a platform role
automatically when adding them to route and stop_area relations. But it
wouldn't be hard to reprogram it to do that for simply
highway=bus_stop/railway=tram_stop.

Dropping the public_transport tags on stops is covered by Ilya's proposal
though. I'm somewhat indifferent to whether we do or don't drop those tags.

My proposal is mostly about not adding 2 objects to the route relations for
each stop and to keep all the stop's details together on that one object
that is added to the route relations, preferably a node.

Polyglot