When the platform is a really existing built thing, you would need
highway=platform on it, and an additional highway=bus_stop at the stop pole or
wherever. That is more clutter and worse state of the database, than if we
would finally move to the more versatile public_transport=platform. As it is
the only thing that the p_t:v2 scheme actually needs anyway, we could save so
much node clutter if we would use only that.

The stop (bus, tram, whatever) is only a pin in a field? Ok, let‘s have a
node(p_t=platform;name=*) and put only that in the route relations.

The stop has a piece of sidewalk that is built forward slightly or a true
platform: Have a polygon with the same tags.

As usually, any mode of transport is longer and and have multiple doors, you
can still have the polygon as saying „anywhere here, the passengers can wait“.

Why is it so bad to adapt to a scheme that got voted in favour of long ago?

Ok, some additional confusing clutter exists in this scheme, but if I
understand the explanations here, most, if not all of that is not required.

If the render would finally render public_transport=platform nodes exactly like
highway=bus_stop / any tram/train stop equivalent, and
public_transport=platform polygons exactly like highway=platform, and we would
use only that, the state of the database would be far better than the simply
not versatile enough bus stop node.

Maybe we could at some point get to just usefully rewrite the v2 scheme
definition to make it easier to understand. Most dislike against it seems to
come from not understanding it correctly, as it is described to complex in some
cases.

If we were to say, that only p_t=platform is to be used in most cases, on nodes
or ways beside the road, and nothing else is actually required, it be more
accessible than hw=bus_stop&hw=platform, the relations would be almost the same
as now, and the only thing that needs to be slightly corrected be the renders
to finally also accept this.

Except for being older, what makes hw=bus_stop better?
You still might have to then use hw=platform and maybe p_t=platform
additionally, it needs to be an extra node, it does not necessarily mean what
it says (bus stop is conceptually a combination of platform and stop
position[s]) and it is a stiff node, that only works for buses then.

What will it take for the haters to accept this (potentially) simpler, newer
scheme?

KR
RobinD (emergency99)