Apparently, the US Census folks made an updated data release from their TIGER
database on 31 March 2007.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tgrshp2007/tgrshp2007.html

Apparently it is in a new data format (shapefiles) than the 2006 and previous
releases.  I'm a total newbie to how the OSM project is planning to proceed, so
this raised a few questions in my mind...

Is the Census Bureau going to continue to make regular (ie. annual or
semi-annual) data releases of street centerline data, or does the 2007
TIGER/Line Shapefile release represent the end of the project?

If they plan on releasing incremental updates, is there an OSM plan in place
for pulling from their updated information each time they release? or was the
2006 data intended to be a baseline that would then be improved and maintained
only by OSM users?

If the census bureau continues to release updated information, and OSM intends
to import the data refinements into the project, how does that work with user
edits that have been made between data releases/imports?

I dug through the mailing list archives back through March and didn't see any
of this addressed.  Sorry if I missed something and am rehashing old business.

Thanks,

-Mike (OneEye)