On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:11 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> How do we mark and tag Class II and Class III bike facilities? (I'm not
> sure if Class I, II, and III is a California specific designation, or if
> this is the standard terminology throughout the US)
>
> Class I is the separated bike path, with a physical separation between the
> bicycle path and vehicle traffic, or on a route which other vehicle traffic
> doesn't follwo.  This one is easy, you trace in the path, and make it
> highway=cycleway; cycleway=track.  It's just the same as drawing in separate
> roads for divided roads.
>
> Class II is the bike lane with its own lane markings, but it is immediately
> adjacent the vehicle lanes.  This also seems to be pretty clear: just add a
> cycleway=lane tag to the road it is part of, right?
>
> Class III is a "shared use" facility with the cars, it just has the green
> "bicycle route" signs occasionally.  Hopefully it has a wide outside lane,
> but not always.  How do you put this one in?  do you add a
> bicycle=designated tag to the road, or what?
>
> Thanks for the input,
>
> -Mike

Mike,

I think your suggestions line up with how I would tag it, too. I'm curious
where you heard about the Class I, II, III designations, though. I'm a
California native and occasional bike rider and I've never heard of these.
And I'm not sure I've ever seen a Class I cycleway--any separated paths
always seem to be shared with pedestrian & other non-vehicle traffic (I
would tag the ones I've seen as highway=path, bicycle=designated,
foot=designated, etc.). Actually, now that I think about it, the west side
of the Golden Gate Bridge might qualify as a "pure" cycleway (it's supposed
to be for bicycles only).

Karl