Here's an example, where I used to live a short distance south of Alviso:

http://www.openstreetmap.com/?lat=37.3851&lon=-121.9258&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF

See the light yellow roads that connect to other roads such as
Montague Expressway and 1st St?  Roads such as Lick Mill Blvd, Orchard Parkway,
Plumeria?  They're actually fair wide roads, and can have ~40 mph speed limits.

The thing is, they're used only by people getting to local homes or businesses
- they're not
the main through routes.

For San Jose, I've mentally come up with a system that's goes like this:

Motorways are any and all limited access freeways - Highway 87, US 101, I-280

Primary highways are "Expressways" - or the few other roads that are similarly
important.
Montague Expressway, Lawrence Expressway, San Tomas Expressway, El Camino Real,
Stevens Creek Boulevard: the heavy duty arterials.

Secondary Highways are those roads you may take for a few miles, but are a
little less important - such as Lafayette Street (which turns into Gold Street
in Alviso - I wonder if I should have demoted it to a tertiary highway after it
crossed under 237.)

And then you have your tertiary roads.

I've been subjective enough about this that I don't mind if some of these roads
get reassigned, particularly in some neighborhoods I'm less familiar with.  The
San Jose map was in desperate need of having some sort of hierarchy of
importance, so some areas I was less familiar with - such as East San Jose -
I've tried to pick out the primary and secondary roads, without assigning
tertiary roads.

But hopefully, when you look at the map, you can quickly decide:  what are the
main roads I'd used to get to a neighborhood?  What are the main roads within a
neighborhood?  That's another way to think of secondary and tertiary roads.

-Alan