"I don't see it as "corrupting". It's not mangling the mapper's work in any
way. If they don't like the new overlapping road, then just delete the TIGER
one."

Ok - We've hit an impass then.

You can't "just hit delete" You have to merge all the duplicated data in
order
to make the way/area sane It takes much more effort than to
originally edit in the new road.

So you have not just mangled the mappers works you've actually turned it
into negative value content for the OSM dataset.

I'll leave you with one more comment that I can assure you I don't mean to
be inflamatory, but I would understand if you take it so.

There can only be two winners from a bulk upload of Tiger data....
Tele Atlas and Navteq.

Nick