I am based in the UK but have also done some remote editing of US
data. The UK is of course the basis of the classification terminology
used by OSM for historical reasons.

The key thing from my side is to ensure that the order is retained, ie
a motorway should have more capacity and probably flow faster than a
trunk etc etc. This is essential to allow routing engines to use the
best road available. The proposed scheme does that. The initial coding
of interstates as 'secondary' did not. There is always some
subjectivity involved, but it will be good of the approach is
consistent across the country.

I agree that both motorway and trunk roads should generally be free of
traffic lights etc. The difference in the UK between the motorway and
a trunk road is legal, the speed limit is different and motorways
always have a higher spec, always have ramps, never have roundabouts.
I was not able to determine when I should use Trunk and motorway in
the USA and tended to use motorway.

Primary roads seem to me to be the core tag for major arteries in
towns (or countryside) where there were multiple lanes but also have
side roads, traffic signals etc.

Secondary and tertiary roads are really very pretty minor in the UK.
In urban areas they are the roads that would feed multiple residential
roads and residential roads would tend to not be through-routes.

Here is an area I spent some time on in Foster City and the
classification of roads seems to have stabilized over the past month
or so. Motorway for everything with ramps, Primary for the big road
with traffic signals and then secondary and tertiary to make sense of
local circulation in residential areas. I didn't see any place to use
highway=trunk
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.5413&lon=-122.2661&zoom=13&layers=0B00FTF

I seem to remember that it was me who made Skyline Bvrd a trunk road
here
(http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.7233&lon=-122.4942&zoom=14&layers=0B00FTF
) . It seems to have stuck, but I am not sure if others would agree
with that. It does seem odd for a trunk to turn straight into a
secondary when it takes a lot of the same traffic towards the north
although if most of the traffic heads up Great Hwy then that might be
appropriate.

Here is a map I have just done showing the use of highway=trunk in the
USA which is interesting and shows the very uneven adoption of trunk
across the country. There are pockets where it is being used a lot and
areas where there is no use of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itoworld/3113029093/

Out of curiosity I have also added images for the other main road
classifications:

motorway: http://www.flickr.com/photos/itoworld/3113880022/in/pool-itomedia
primary: http://www.flickr.com/photos/itoworld/3113885464/in/pool-itomedia
secondary: http://www.flickr.com/photos/itoworld/3113063009/in/pool-itomedia

I think the main message from these images is that the motorway tag is
being used reasonably consistently across the country, the trunk road
tag is only being used in pockets. Primary is used a lot especially in
the east where it seems to form a complete network which is doesn't in
the west. The use of secondary seems to be somewhat dependent on some
arbitrary boundaries; are these state boundaries?

I hope that is useful.

Btw, do subscribe to our Flickr itomedia group
(http://www.flickr.com/groups/itomedia/pool/
). We release images on a regular basis and are happy to take requests
for bigger areas. Do also use OSM Mapper ourselves to make your own
images at the city level:
http://www.itoworld.com/static/osmmapper

Regards,

Peter Miller