Chris,

After looking at the satellite imagery of Mass Route 2, I definitely agree
that it should be a trunk road for most of the way with sections of
Motorway.  I think it's physical characteristics by themselves fit these
classifications.  Thats a good point about Motorways being completely
unsuitable, if not illegal, for bike/pedestrian/equestrian traffic.  Do you
think Trunk roads should be considered suitable, if not ideal, for this type
of traffic?

I like your line of thinking about Trunk being used for roads that are most
appropriate for long haul traffic.  In areas where Motorways are few and far
between, sometimes a two lane road is the main long distance route.  Maybe
roads like these should be classified as Trunk even though they aren't quite
up to Trunk standards?

Take western Vermont as an example again:
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.923&lon=-73.105&zoom=9&layers=B000TFFF
US Highway 7 is the main north/south route connecting the major towns of
Burlington, Rutland, and Bennington because no motorway exists on that side
of the state.  For most of it's length US 7 is a two lane road, but it has
sections with 3 or 4 lanes, and sections with limited access.  Currently
it's tagged as Primary for most of the way with sections of Trunk, but maybe
it should be tagged as Trunk since it's the only main route in the area.
What do you think?

Zeke