I have the same problems to understand the proper tagging of landuse,
natural, leisure
it's entirely confusing when you dig deeper....

rendering doesn't make it better
a national park is a boundary. there is no feature on ground.
- first it should be rendered as a boundary.
- second it's common to render it in other maps as a green background
where all other features are on top.
but landuse, natural are rendered in
  random order and tagging a forest, meadow,...  inside the park is
impossible with the current tags. some will be visible some won't
I know we don't tag for the renderer but there should be something in
place similar to existing maps.