I know that for the National Park boundaries the
national atlas data is much worse than park specific data. I would suspect
that to be the case for national forest boundaries as well on the National
Atlas. As Eric said, most government data is alright to use.

I found the Forest service site for region 3 [1] and I tossed the admin
boundaries and and the wilderness boundaries into Arc and compared that data
with the national atlas forest boundaries data. I can confirm the national
atlas data has much less detail than the FS data. The forest service data is
also unambiguous in terms of copyright and is usable on OSM.

But what you gain in resolution you also lose in terms of import speed.
Also, check out the National Forest Service data on the wiki and add your
project to it [2].

[1] http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/gis/datasets.shtml
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/US_Forest_Service_Data

Happy mapping!