On Jul 25, 2009, at 9:10 AM, David Carmean wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 07:25:21AM -0700, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Which data do you have in mind? which data sources? is there anything
>> better available compared to http://atlas.ca.gov/download.html
>
> That looks to be a new version or another interface to CASIL, which
> I've used often.  A lot of that data are excerpts from federal data.

yes, a bit confusing to offer the same data at different portals ...

>> Let's try to align activities if possible. right now there is so much
>> garbage from older imports that any activity should be well planned.
>>
>> I was considering to import some data but still try to figure out
>> what
>> data is useful and accurate. right now county borders and city
>> borders
>
> I don't really have any plans for mass imports; I was mostly trying
> to get
> a reading from the community. In general I'm just interested in small
> areas, nothing larger than, say, the greater San Francisco Bay Area.
> Nothing causing more conflicts than what I could easily resolve by
> hand using JOSM in a week or so.

nice, I am doing the same. that's why I try to figure out which
datasets have reasonable quality.

also most imports are not documented in the wiki.
started a page to document local imports adding the links we have
exchanged, please add other info, imports ....
couldn't find andy info on the county, city border imports though.