Hi talk-us, talk-ca and dev lists,

re: Deleting TIGER node tags

Yup, its great to learn from others  experiences.
I too agree about having the extra tags. .. hence why the CanVec import is
taking so long to get out of BETA phase.
We do have some more of the GeoBaseNHN data imported (rivers in Quebec), and
for the Roads, All of Alberta and all of Ontario and parts of other
provinces have already been imported.  (with maybe too many tags, but that's
still debatable)

What I have a difficult time trying to convey to people asking about the
import, is that "importing" the data, is exactly that.  It's an "Import" so
it is not a 'Sync'.   It's a one-way import.

Yes, we do have tools which we can use such as OpenJUMP, RoadMatcher, so
then as new data becomes available, we can simply compare it with what
exists. Then, 'enhance the data' with what new information is available.

The purpose of OpenStreetMap is to create the worlds best and most accurate
'current map'.   So by default, ALL data that gets imported, should be
considered as "old" and be treated as data to be added-to the current map.
So... just because i have a lot of data to contribute... doesn't mean that i
have any power over what the existing map is like. (BTW, after +1 day all
data is old, since your not physically there :)

Sure, (for me and whoever is preforming manual import) its some work, were i
need to manually remove the duplicate imported data in favour of the OSM
version. ... but it isn't more work for the local area mappers.  Why should
they have to spend time removing duplicate stuff that i dropped in there?
... they shouldn't. (I can ask them to help, but that's all i can do)

That said, it's MORE important that these .osm files would become available
so that everyone has access to it, and can import it as they like. .. rather
than forcing an import on areas where it's not really needed.   The imported
data is ALWAYS a 'helper-data'. (and IMO should be thought of that way)

Ie. the other day, i was looking at a lake that someone else traced from
yahoo imagery (the lake was 7 nodes polygon).  When my version (from
GeoBasdeNHN) is 50 nodes polygon. ... which is more accurate so other
features can be shown.  The 'best practice' is that I take time and contact
that person who drew in that lake, and let them know that i have something
better. .. that will 'improve the map'.   (regardless of the source).  So
once i heard back. THEN i can replace. .. but not before.   Sure, it takes
extra time on my part, BUT it makes the map better overall.   That person
can then see the new data, and work on further adding details (adjusting the
piers and showing where park areas trails are etc.)

So anyway, having tags that are "supposed" to be used as cross-reference..
doesn't really make sense.  Since this is an "open" street map, where anyone
who has local knowledge of how the map should be, would know better than
what the import data says.

Anyway,
Good call,
Happy Mapping