Tiger data is not to bad. ways are connected correct for the most
  part. in fact motorways are connected to under/over crossing ways
  which is incorrect. But routing will be possible.  A major problem is
  the direction of motorways/motorway_links. they are random.  by
  default mkgmap sets them oneway and a single way can break routing.

I was just in San Diego and Orange county, and maps I built around 9/1
(with cloudmade extracts and svn mkgmap and splitter) actually seemed to
route pretty well.

That said, I do not dispute your statement above at all.