On 3 Oct 2009, at 17:42, Mike N. wrote:

>   It needs to follow the road way to some extent, but it might be
> possible
> to simplify by reducing node count so that it doesn't exactly follow
> the
> road.   In the samples I have seen, house placement is much
> different than
> the road path when there is a curve.

You might find that it is faster and easier to get lots of people to
go out there and collect the information, than to try and find a way
to import the addressing. It is also more fun from a community
perspective and you might find that the end result is better.

>   A final note, I don't know how much address data already exists in
> OSM,

If you want to see where there is addressing take a look at the green
on this map rending.

http://matt.sandbox.cloudmade.com/?lat=37.779399&lng=-122.424774&zoom=11&layer=3

Shaun