On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Apollinaris Schoell
<ascho...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't think that's the issue.  For one thing, Quabbin renders fine
>> in Mapnik, but poorly in Osmarender.  For Salt Fork Lake, the opposite
>> is true.  So they are two unrelated problems.  For another thing, all
>> of the relevant wiki pages seem to indicate that landuse=reservoir is
>> just as valid as natural=water for this type of feature.  (What kind
>> of "protected area" was tagged as landuse=reservoir in the MassGIS
>> import?  Unless those areas protect water, that tagging is wrong.)
>> Besides, I've done numerous smaller bodies of water which are both
>> landuse=reservoir and natural=water, as multipolygons and as single
>> ways, and this is the only one causing problems.
>>

> why don't you try it instead of wild guess?
> the rendering doesn't care what's in the wiki. the wiki can be completely
> wrong. check the rendering style and you will know for sure.
> for the tags itself landuse on a lake? doesn't make any sense to me.

Who's guessing here? I'll quote you again, "> Just a guess.
landuse=reservoir overrules natural water."  My hypothesis is based on
the experience of tagging several reservoirs exactly like this without
any problems.  The only difference is that this one involves a greater
number of nodes and took several minutes to upload.

Anyway, the tags are correct.  It's a lake, so it's tagged
natural=water.  It's a reservoir -- an area of land (territory) used
to store water -- so it's tagged landuse=reservoir.  The wiki page for
each tag indicates that the tag is correct for the situation, and I
don't see a problem with redundant tagging.  If the renderer gets it
wrong because of the way it's tagged, then the renderer needs to be
fixed, not the tags.  But I'm confident that that's not even the
problem here.

--
David "Smith"
a.k.a. Vid the Kid