I've been making a seperate node for each tag whenever I run into this
situation.  It's not the best solution, but it gets the job done.

The best fix I can think of would probably require an API change, but it'd
probably end up being easier on the database server in the long run.
Basically, we need to use an overloading method similar to the karlsruhe
schema for the shop=* and amenity=* tags to allow more than one attribute on
a node/polygon.

This was one of the first headaches I ran into when I first started
mapping.  It's a pretty classic example of a database
normalization<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization>problem
when you have an object with both many->many and one->many
relationships.

To use Thea's super wally-world example, we need to apply the following
attributes:
shop=supermarket
shop=hairdresser
shop=department_store
amenity=pharmacy
dispensing=yes
shop=car_repair
shop=optician
shop=garden_center
amenity=fuel
amenity=fast_food
cuisine=sandwich

While this is pretty straightforward for a human to read, the API has no
real way of handling multiple values on the same tag.  A slightly more
machine-readable set of attributes would read like this:

shop:supermarket=yes
shop:hairdresser=yes
shop:department_store=yes
amenity:pharmacy=dispensing (implies a yes)
shop:car_repair=yes
shop:optician=yes
shop:garden_center=yes
amenity:fuel=yes
amenity:fast_food=sandwich (implies a yes)

Of course, a change this big would require a ton of work to bring the
existing tags up to the new spec, but as a trade-off it would make querying
the database and/or compiling a vector map a lot easier.

Chris