Why oh why oh why do some people insist on wasting time trying to import loads
of data?

Please take a read of
http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/shine/archives/2009/11/10/the-pottery-club/

Please go out and map what's out on the ground, as usually imported data is of
a rather low standard or the import isn't done right, and it's really, really
hard to do an import correctly.

On 5 Dec 2009, at 00:00, Scott Atwood wrote:

> The Hawaii state government has a sizable repository of GIS data that could
> be useful to import into OSM:  http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/gis/.  I have
> contacted a manager in the GIS department by telephone and verified that this
> GIS data is in the public domain, and therefore available for import into OSM.
>
> Hawaii has pretty good road coverage from a import of 2007 TIGER data on
> O'ahu, and an ongoing import of 2009 TIGER data for the remaining islands, so
> the roads data provided by the GIS department probably doesn't need to be
> considered.    But there is a lot of other data available that isn't
> currently in OSM, such as:
>
>    * Streams, waterfalls, dams, and canals (Does the National Hydrography
> Dataset cover Hawaii?)
>    * Coral reefs
>    * Offshore islets
>    * Mile markers

Not so sure these belong in OSM.

>    * Trails
>    * Parks
>    * Schools

Um haven't these already been imported? Not just current ones, but historic
ones too, and schools that opened 4 years ago aren't in there?

>    * Hotels
>    * Assorted administrative boundaries

You'll probably find that most of these are in there already.

>    * Land use categorization.
>    * etc.
>
> There has been relatively little mapping activity in Hawaii outside of O'ahu,
> so these data sets are unlikely to conflict with much existing work on the
> neighbor islands.  More careful consideration would have to be given for data
> imports for O'ahu.

Do some publicity, run some mapping parties. The reason OSM has worked in
Germany is due to plenty of publicity.

Shaun