I don't support the import at this time either.

I think that this type of data is far better queried from the source
at the time it is needed and mashed on top of OSM.  States are
continually improving this data and pushing it up to EPA where the
changes will be reflected in new versions of the KML file.  Is it
likely that OSM contributors will create diffs and hand edit the
locations and attributes as they change?

If data like this is imported, it should not be done without a well
thought out tagging/description scheme that others buy into for
environmental data.  These tags should indicate the type of
environmental interest that it it is and if it is from a particular
EPA program, it would be very useful to use namespace specific tags
like type=epa:npl, type=epa:brownfield, etc.  Maybe a standard OSM tag
to indicate that the location has not been verified, like the tiger
data.

Personally, I think that if it is there, it should also be tagged in a
way that it doesn't show up on the default renders.  An interesting
project would be something like 'OpenEnviroMap'  (ala OpenPisteMap), a
stylesheet and tagging scheme to pull all flavors of environmental
info into a map.

I don't understand what the rush is to put 100k of points into OSM
without the proper work up front.  In IT-speak, you seem to be heavily
invested in a solution without having done the business analysis or
established the business need.  I guess that is the beauty:horror of
OSM, it is a wiki, anyone can import whatever they want, however they
want.

I am starting to repeat myself in these posts, so I really don't think
that I have anything else to add to this discussion.  If your goal is
to add value to the data or make the latest version of data available
to people who currently don't have access to it, I don't see the case
for putting it into OSM.  What is your goal behind this effort?

David.