On 2/7/10 1:58 PM, Chris Hunter wrote:
According to the WIKI and some discussions back in April (http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2009-April/000976.html) and again in September (http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2009-September/001597.html), the US Interstate system was going to be moved into a new schema where each direction of each interstate would be split at the state border to avoid hitting API 0.6's 1000-member hard-cap on relationships.

Last night, user NE2 "cleaned up" the interstate system by merging all of the states with 2 relations per interstate back into 1 relation with direction-based roles. I've already requested a roll-back on the area I was working on, but I wanted to check if we still have a consensus on splitting each interstate into separate directions at the state line.
i concur with the notion of splitting at state lines. i also think that the longer US routes need
to be handled in a similar manner.

i don't think NE2 condensed all the relationships; he hit the I-90 East/West and I-81 North/South relations i built in NY, but just altered the names, leaving both relations in place.

richard